Volunteering is vital to society and it is beneficial not only from the community/social development point of view but it also helps you as an individual!
Here are some top 10 reasons why one should volunteer.
#1: You can make a difference.
Every action counts and your volunteering goes a long way!
#2: It’s good for you.
Did you know that Volunteering provides physical and mental rewards.
- Reduces stress: Experts report that when you focus on someone other than yourself, it interrupts usual tension-producing patterns.
- Makes you healthier: Moods and emotions, like optimism, joy, and control over one’s fate, strengthen the immune system.
#3: It helps save on resources.
Volunteering provides valuable community services so more money can be spent on local improvements.
#4: Volunteers gain professional experience.
You can test out a career as you can try a number of different streams in a small duration of time and see what suits you.
#5: It promotes personal growth and self esteem.
Understanding community needs helps foster empathy and self-efficacy
#6: It brings people together.
As a volunteer you assist in:
- Uniting people from diverse backgrounds to work toward a common goal
- Building camaraderie and teamwork
#7: Volunteering strengthens your community.
As a volunteer you can help in a number of ways such as:
- Support families (daycare and eldercare)
- Improve schools (tutoring, literacy)
- Support youth (mentoring and after-school programs)
- Beautify the community (beach and park cleanups)
#8: You learn a lot.
Volunteers learn things like these:
- Self: Volunteers discover hidden talents that may change your view on your self worth.
- Government: Through working with local non-profit agencies, volunteers learn about the functions and operation of our government.
- Community: Volunteers gain knowledge of local resources available to solve community needs.
#9: You get a chance to give back.
People like to support community resources that they use themselves or that benefit people they care about.
#10: Volunteering encourages civic responsibility.
Community service and volunteerism are an investment in our community and the people who engage in it.
Hope this was enough to get you pumped up and Ready to volunteer.
Go out there and change the world!